Translate this page into:
Treatment of pemphigus
M-54, Lajpat Nagar II, New Delhi - 110024
|How to cite this article:
Gupta R, Gupta S. Treatment of pemphigus . Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2003;69:314
It was interesting to read the article by Balachandran. I wish to point out certain discrepancies.
1. There are only 25 references mentioned in the reference section while 26 are quoted in the text. The references in the text should have been 6 to 25 instead of 7 to 26.
2. After successful treatment of Reiter′s disease with dexamethasone pulse, we started using dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide pulse (DCP) therapy for treating pemphigus since 1982 and not since1992 as quoted. Subsequently many more reports were published in different journal. ,,
3. The transfusion duration is 1-1.5 hours instead of 3-4 hours. The second phase of therapy is now modified to 9 pulses in place of 6. Similarly the third phase is of 9 months in place of 1 year.
4. Among the side effects quoted, viz. infection leading to septicaemia, I wish to clarify that infection does not lead to septicemia if appropriate antibiotic therapy is instituted prior to or even during the pulse therapy.
5. Most of the reports by Indian workers published in our journal have not been reviewed.
Balachandran C. Treatment of pemphigus. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2003;69:3-5.[Google Scholar]
Pasricha JS, Gupta R. Pulse therapy with dexamethasone in Reiter's disease. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1982;48:358-361.[Google Scholar]
Pasricha JS, Gupta R. Pulse therapy with dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide in pemphigus. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1984;50:199-203.[Google Scholar]
Pasricha JS, Thanzama J, Khan UK. Intermittent high dose dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide pulse therapy for pemphigus. Br J Dermatol 1988;119:73-77.[Google Scholar]
Pasricha JS, Seetharam KA, Das U. Further studies on pemphigus patients treated with dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide pulse therapy. Ind J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1989;55:98-104.[Google Scholar]
Pasricha JS, Das SS. Curative effect of dexamethasone-cyclophosphamide pulse therapy for the treatment of pemphigus vulgaris. Int J Dermatol 1992;31:875-877.[Google Scholar]